- Do I have to drill into a stud?
- How deep in the wall is the stud?
- Why can’t I find a stud in my wall?
- How deep is a stud behind drywall?
- How many inches are studs apart in the wall?
- Can I use my iPhone as a stud finder?
- Can you mount a TV on drywall?
- Why do stud finders not work?
- How long does a screw need to be to hit a stud?
- How many holes can you drill in a stud?
Do I have to drill into a stud?
Are You Supposed to drill into a Stud.
In most situations drilling into the stud is the best option, but if you’re trying to hang a small lightweight picture or decoration it may not be necessary, you maybe be able to get by with just drilling a hole into the drywall and using a drywall anchor..
How deep in the wall is the stud?
All new studs are 1-1/2” thick. Older studs—ones found in houses built before the 1970s—are closer to 2” thick. Either way, the stud center will be ¾” to 1” away from either edge of the stud.
Why can’t I find a stud in my wall?
Move left to right tapping on the wall and when you hear a different pitch that’s likely the stud. … A third method is to use a strong magnet to locate the nail or screws holding the drywall to the studs. You can knock on the wall to find the general stud location then confirm using the magnet.
How deep is a stud behind drywall?
16 Inches On-Center This predictable spacing lets you easily find studs when trying to hang a picture, install shelves, or put in new kitchen wall cabinets, among other projects.
How many inches are studs apart in the wall?
16 inchesThe general spacing for wall studs is 16 inches on center, but they can be 24 inches.
Can I use my iPhone as a stud finder?
The iPhone beeps when its magnetometer, in the upper right of the phone, is near metal. Stud Find is an iPhone application that uses the device’s built-in magnetometer to find metal studs, screws, nails and anything metallic in a wall.
Can you mount a TV on drywall?
Use a toggle: If there simply aren’t any studs where you want to mount the TV, then you need to use some sort of hollow wall anchor. … Mounting a TV on drywall or plaster without attaching to a stud can be a very safe and reliable solution IF you know the limits of the wall and the toggles.
Why do stud finders not work?
1) Check Your Battery. If your stud finder worked previously, but no longer seems to work, about 9 times out of 10, the problem is a weak battery. You may swear that the battery is still good, but it’s not. … Each of these batteries has a printed expiration date, but they are all in different locations on the battery.
How long does a screw need to be to hit a stud?
You should use screws long enough to engage the stud one half the length of the screw. For example, if the wallboard is 5/8″ thick and the bracket is 1/8″ thick then you want a screw that is at least 1–1/2″ long.
How many holes can you drill in a stud?
The technical yet important rules are: Holes in bearing wall studs (exterior and interior walls that bear the weight of the roof and/or other stories above) may not exceed 40 percent of the width of the stud. Notches in bearing wall studs may not exceed 25 percent of the stud’s width.